Monday, March 10, 2008

After L.A.

En route home from the below LA trip, I stopped over in Taipei and had some time to kill. Went to local tackle shop and inquired about the fly fishing possibilities and was given directions to a stream outside of Taipei. There were some kind of small fish and also another more predatory fish the name of which I have no idea.

At the tackle shop I saw behind the counter a picture of a Tarpon. I asked whether the location was nearby and was surprised to hear that it was within the city.

However, the spot was near the outflow of a canal and the water quality was black and oily. BUT, when I got there, I saw the distinctive tarpon rise.
Using a 6 wt rod, I tied on a white clouser and for the next hour I caught and released tarpon up to a kilo and a half. My hand and fly line was all black and oily at the end of the session but it was a memorable one.




No comments: